Obligations of the Employer
Before you get started it is always good to understand your obligations. When hiring a nanny or caregiver you are becoming an official employer so you must:
- Comply with the labour regulations for your Province.
- Provide the caregiver with a written contract clearly outlining their duties, which we will help you with.
- Keep records of the number of regular and overtime hours the in-home caregiver has worked for you on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Remit taxes.
- Review and adjust the foreign caregiver’s wages to ensure they meet or exceed ESDC’s requirements (as per the prevailing median wage outlined on Job Bank for your region, province and type of job).
- Ensure that you are not employing a foreign national other than in the capacity they are authorized to work.
- Ensure that you are not employing an in home caregiver without a valid work permit identifying you specifically as the employer.