Useful Resources for Caregivers working in Canada




Health care:

Under Canada's national health insurance system, Canadian residents (permanent or temporary) do not have to pay the cost of certain hospital and medical expenses. However, depending on the province or territory in which you live, you may be required to pay to be covered by the insurance plan. The following links will help you find the information depending on the province you will live in:

For Ontario
For Alberta
For British Columbia
For Manitoba
For Saskatchewan
For Quebec
For New Brunswick
For Nova Scotia
For Newfoundland & Labrador
For Prince Edward Islands


Workers` compensation benefits:

The Workers' Compensation Plan is a provincial government insurance plan which will pay your wages if you get sick or injured on the job. New rules say that your employer must pay the premiums – they cannot be deducted from your salary.

Since the plan is an insurance plan for employers, only the employer can pay for it.

You should find out about the province where you intend to work.

Workplace Health and Safety Compensation
Commission of Newfoundland and Labrador
146-148 Forest Road
P.O. Box 9000, Station B
St. John's NF A1A 3B8
Tel: 709-778-1000
Fax: 709-738-1714

Workers' Compensation Board of Alberta
P.O. Box 2415
9912-107 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 2S5
Tel: 780-498-3999      

Fax: 780-498-7875

Workers' Compensation Board of British Columbia
P.O. Box 5350
Vancouver BC V6B 5L5
Tel: 604-273-2266
Fax: 604-276-3151

Workers' Compensation Board of Manitoba
333 Broadway
Winnipeg MB R3C 4W3
Tel: 204-954-4321
Fax: 204-954-4968

Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
401 Strickland Street
Whitehorse YK Y1A 5N8
Tel: 867-667-5645 Fax: 867-393-6279

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (Ontario)
200 Front Street West
Toronto ON M5V 3J1
Tel: 416-344-1000
Fax: 416-344-3999

Workers' Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
5668 South Street
P.O. Box 1150
Halifax NS B3J 2Y2
Tel: 902-491-8999 Fax: 902-491-8002

Workers Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island
14 Weymouth Street
Charlottetown PEI C1A 4Y1
Tel: 902-368-5680 Fax: 902-368-5705

Saskatchewan Workers' Compensation Board
200, 1881 Scarth Street
Regina SK S4P 4L1
Tel: 306-787-4370 Fax: 306-787-0213

Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission of New Brunswick
1 Portland Street
P.O. Box 160
Saint John NB E2L 3X9
Tel: 506-632-2200 Fax: 506-632-4999


Employment Standards by province

British Columbia:






New Brunswick:

Nova Scotia:

Prince Edward Island:⟨=E


Northwestern Territories:


Ontario hotline for nannies and caregivers:

Live-in nannies and caregivers who feel that their rights were violated or who feel abused, may call Ontario hotline at 1-866-372-3247 begin_of_the_skype_highlightingend_of_the_skype_highlighting

Eligibility for Canadian Employment Insurance:

Live-in caregiver associations:

You can contact any of these groups to get more information about your rights as a live-in caregiver in Canada. Go to the name of the organization for full contact information.

You do not need your employer’s permission to contact these groups.

These groups can answer your questions about working conditions, employee–employer relations, changing jobs, job loss and abuse. They can also help you learn more about your new community and how to meet people.

After you arrival in Canada:⟨=eng